Monday, May 7, 2012

Southernmost Point

We made it to San Diego!  Yay!  We left Walnut Creek around 7:30 in the morning and headed straight down to San Diego.  California's economic crisis was evident on most of our trip.  We started out traveling back roads in order to avoid a potential rush hour traffic jam.  The road was bent, buckled, potholed, and partially patched--yet still very popular.  Even I-5 was quite rough in several places.  On more than one occasion our car bobbed and weaved, bounced and wobbled.  For the first time I was a bit worried about my 12 year old car--until I saw someone driving a bent, rusted hulk of a station wagon manufactured around the 1950's.  I've got a great car; no more complaints.  (Don't worry, Mary; I'm taking good care of it.)

We arrived in San Diego around 4:30.  Our quaint little hotel is located on the Pacific Hwy just across from Old Town--San Diego's birthplace.  We walked over to Old Town to enjoy a nice Mexican dinner (thanks for the suggestion, Anne) and then took a walk around the area.  The temperatures are in the upper 60's.  Mary reported to me that Seattle is just a few degrees warmer.  Somehow that figures.

We haven't quite figured out what we are doing tomorrow.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment