Thursday, May 10, 2012

And so it begins...

At 8:30 this morning Jenni and I started our West Coast Adventures.  Officially.  Without Mike.  Just us.

We dropped Mike off at the Long Beach Airport and proceeded to Hwy 1--the Pacific Coast Highway.  This highway--with occasional visits to Hwy 101, will take us all the way into Northern California.  I've visited different parts of PCH, but always wanted to drive the entire highway.

The trip out of the LA basin took quite a while.  In Southern California, PCH travels through several--no, A LOT--of small beach communities. Starting in Long Beach we visited Wilmington, Palos Verdes, Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, El Segundo (where we drove under the LAX runway), Playa Del Rey, Marina Del Rey, Venice, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Topanga Beach, and then, finally, Malibu.  While we saw tons of Jack in the Boxes, an accessible Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf was nowhere to be found.

After Malibu, the city driving slowly gave way to beautiful coastal views.  We drove by Port Hueneme and Point Mugu where Mike worked while in college.  We soon arrived in Oxnard where we visited our first Carnegie Library of the day.  This library is currently a museum and was closed.  I would have very much liked to see the inside of this rather large and very white building.



We found a Starbucks nearby and picked up a mid-morning drink.  This reminded Jenni how much she does NOT like Starbucks espresso.  This is unfortunate because I LOVE Starbucks iced tea.  Compromises abound!

Back on to Hwy 1 and we soon had to join Hwy 101.  Just a bit past Ventura, Hwy 1 reappeared and we enjoyed a short run along a strip of land between the ocean and Hwy 101.  This turned out to be a very popular location for RV parking.  We eventually were forced back onto Hwy 101.  This time we stayed on all the way into Santa Barbara.

Mike and I met in Santa Barbara when we were both going to school at UC Santa Barbara.  We've always loved this place, partly because of the significance of the area, but also because it is so beautiful and the weather is temperate.  Jenni and I drove into the city and I was pleased to see that the community is as beautiful as ever.  As we drove around looking for the local Carnegie building I found myself in familiar surroundings.  The library was right across the street from the Santa Barbara County Courthouse!.  Not only was this a favored place to picnic--it is an incredibly beautiful site--but this is where Mike and I applied for our marriage license.  Ah, sweet memories!

Jenni and I parked and investigated this rather large edifice of a library.  We found nary a clue that this was a Carnegie building.  We have our doubts, but will trust the California Carnegie Library website.


Yeah, we were unimpressed, too.  This library is the only way Santa Barbara could disappoint me.

Jenni and I walked around and I located where Mike and my favorite restaurant used to reside.  We walked over to the building where as a college student I worked part time for Lawyer's Title.  My dad got me this job because a friend of his was the office manager.  However, I can proudly say I kept the job!  Thanks, Dad!

After relocating my car, we got back on the freeway and headed up to Isla Vista.  This was a very small community where UCSB students live.  Well, it WAS very small.  We were surprised to find a large shopping center with a Costco.  This made a great lunch stop (believe it not).

It was hard to leave, but leave we must.  Hwy 101 (or El Camino Real--a great California/Spanish history lesson) took us further west until the Pacific Coast Highway--now the Carrillo Highway--went its own way.  This time we found ourselves in rolling green hills and dropped rather unexpectedly into Lompoc where we found our third library of the day.

Now this was a gem!  This library is typical of a small town.  It is now a museum, but the insides were completely remodeled 50 years ago.  Inside decorative pillars--probably made of wood--were removed and large beams installed in the hopes of opening up the building.  But it wasn't the building that was the gem.  Inside the museum I located a wonderful source of information who was determined to find out all she could about her building.  She was a font of Carnegie library knowledge and recommended a couple books regarding the Carnegie Library legacy.  I think Jenni must have wondered what had happened to me (turns out she was singing while waiting), but I eventually emerged.



Back onto the Carrillo Highway and we worked our way through Vandenburg Air Force Base and through the tiny communities of Mission Hills, Vandenburg Village, Orcutt, Waldorf, Guadalupe, Bromela, Oceano, Grover Beach, and into Pismo Beach.  Here we were once again forced onto Hwy 101 which took us all the way to San Luis Obispo where our fourth and last Carnegie awaited us.

This building was, by far, the sweetest looking of the bunch.  Once, again, this museum was closed, a major disappointment.  It's a beautiful site and through the front doors it looked like the interior was well preserved.  Oh, well.






While I'm not very familiar with this town, my brother John is; he attended Cal Poly SLO here, and I think he'd say it was amongst the best years of his life.  I know he very much cares for this community.  Given that there are a few wineries in the area now, I think we can find an excuse to come back.

Jenni and I are holed up in a Ramada Inn.  Great price, nice room, good accommodations.  Jenni just came back from a short run.  Tomorrow we'll be driving through some of the most beautiful scenery in the state.  I am really looking forward to this.



1 comment:

  1. Wow you have had quite a day! Did you wave to Sarah when you went through Pacific Palisades this morning? What is the weather like?

    ReplyDelete